What if you really looked at today as the first day of the rest of your life? What would you change? What if today was the turning point? What if your path was suddenly clear and you were heading in the right direction toward your perfect life? How would it look? The question is, what exactly is stopping you?
I think a lot about what makes one person succeed and another fail. There are a lot of factors, but one major ingredient is necessary for the recipe to work. You must believe you can do it, whether it is winning the game, getting the job, or maintaining a happy relationship. Would we have ever reached the moon if we were convinced it was impossible?
We all have obstacles in our path, things that cannot be changed, but isn't there a way to get your stream to flow around the obstacle
? Now, imagine how you want your life to look. Can you take a step in that direction? Change can happen slowly or it can happen suddenly in the blink of an eye. Why not opt for the fast track? After all, we are only guaranteed today, so you might not want to waste any time.
If you are an artist and you are not practicing your art because you don't have the time or inspiration, I just need to nudge you (hope you don't mind) and remind you that you have only one life and not everyone has talent to waste. No more excuses -pick up the paintbrush. Shoot for the Moon. Know you can reach it.
It seems like there is an epidemic of complaining about why we can't do something. I think I have a cure. Here are ten reasons why you can, and these can apply to everything from picking up your paintbrush to starting a new diet or a new business venture.
TEN REASONS WHY YOU CAN
- You can't fail. I know what you are thinking. I could produce a really awful work of art or not make the grade. You're forgetting the point. It is the journey, not the destination. Just by picking up pencil, paintbrush or pen, you have accomplished something. You gain strength by making an effort. You have at least overcome the forces of inertia.
- YOLO. For those not hip to texting, this stands for You Only Live Once. This is not just the name of a yogurt shop, and I have to admit I don't really see that connection, it is a cosmic kick in the butt. Must I remind you that if you don't do it now, you might not get another chance. Clock is ticking...
- If you don't, you'll never know if you could. The easiiest path is resistance to change and avoidance. But easy isn't necessarily what we are aiming for in life. What if the greatest musician never picked up an instrument because he was afraid to try something new?
- It will give you peace of mind. All those unfinished items on your Bucket List are weighing on your conscience.Let's say you have 25 items on the list and painting a canvas for your living room is on there. You gotta start somewhere, Check it off, so you have one less things to feel guilty about not getting it done. Don't forget you also have the HoneyDo list to get to.
- It sets a good example for your kids, friends, all those who know you. Wouldn't it be cool if you created something you could be proud of, took up a new hobby, or overcame a bad habit? Imagine your kids looking at you with newfound respect or loved ones bragging about your "oh so great" accomplishment.
- Gives you bragging rights. Once others start talking about what you have done, that opens the door for you to brag about it as well. Let your bragging serve as an inspirations to others to get off their behinds and do something bragworthy.
- It feels so good when you are done. Like many things that are good for you such as exercising or fasting, it sometimes feels the best when you are finished. You'll be able to breath a sigh of relief because you did it.
- Because some one else is tired of your excuses by now.Take it from me, there is someone out there mentally rolling their eyes when you say, I just don't have time, blah, blah blah.
- Trying something new means you are still growing. And what is the opposite of growing, everyone? Dying, deteriorating, diminishing, You pick your adjective, but it doesn't sound good. Growth is good. The opposite is bad. It's that simple.
- Because fear is the enemy. Columbus never would have sailed the ocean blue if he gave in to fear. Many a company wouldn't have been started if an entrepreneur was scared of failing. Don't give in to your heebie jeebies.
So go out and just do it ( I think Nike might have beat me to the punch on this one).
My office is a mess and I can't find the time to clean it...
p.s. Holiday gift giving season is right around the corner. Time to start worrying about the perfect gift for all of the people on your list. I have a suggestion. Why not give a very personal gift that you poured a little bit of your heart and soul into? Give a painting that you created. Wouldn't that be better than a pair of gloves?